thepetsquirrelboard.com Forums  

Go Back   thepetsquirrelboard.com Forums > SQUIRRELS > HEALTH AND HAPPINESS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM

Question Betty got me good today!

So Betty was sitting on my shoulder earlier today, and when I turned my head to look at her my lip apparently crossed some imaginary boundary, prompting her to bite the @#$% out of it. Wowzers did that hurt! When she bites me though, my reaction is usually to fling her off me, which I am fairly certain is quite unpleasant to her (it isn't hard enough to hurt her I don't think, but hard enough to get her off, and definitely give her a start). Do you think this is enough to help deter the biting? Aside from conditioning, are they really smart enough to remember "if I bite, I get tossed?"

She usually only nips once or twice a day, but she does bite frequently enough that Eli has nicknamed her the "B*tchmunk," though she seems to be living up to it!

Thoughts?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM

I would NOT be tossing her off - they can be hurt much more easily than you think. I have a two pound biter and I accept the bites or just don't handle him as much. They are plenty smart and do temper their bite pressure to let you know more gently to stop doing something. When startled (or whatever sets them off) - a bloody ripper will take place.

I am mending from several of those at the moment
Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM

FYI- I do not really "fling" or "toss" my chipmunk. There was some confusion on the squirrel board where it seemed like they thought I was literally throwing Betty through the air. The furthest she's ever gone was from my shoulder to my lap when I jerked away from the bite to my lip, and that was only because it took her a second to let go. I promise Betty has never gone flying because of a nip, nor will she. I am sorry if there was any confusion.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Administrator

The best way to teach them and this is very hard to do but it does work.. When they bite take your hand and push them away saying no.. If you shake your arm or hand what ever they are biting they just hold on harder. Then you should put them in there cage tell them how bad they were..

If you will do this they will learn not to bite and will stop..you have to show her you are the boss..
Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 PM

Well, that may work for some but Berkeley just does not remember the last scolding
Old 01-29-2013, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCorps View Post
Well, that may work for some but Berkeley just does not remember the last scolding
Berkeley being a male only has one thing or 2 on his mind right now female and who's that in my yard?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 AM

Hmmmmm
Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgyure85 View Post
FYI- I do not really "fling" or "toss" my chipmunk. There was some confusion on the squirrel board where it seemed like they thought I was literally throwing Betty through the air. The furthest she's ever gone was from my shoulder to my lap when I jerked away from the bite to my lip, and that was only because it took her a second to let go. I promise Betty has never gone flying because of a nip, nor will she. I am sorry if there was any confusion.
When you tell a bunch of animal lovers that you flung, tossed, thumped, slapped or in anyway physically punished a fuzzer, they get upset so be careful of how you use those words

My sq, Guffy, severely mauled a co worker. And I'm serious about the "mauled" part. He is only 280g but he kept jumping at her and she kept flinging him off. I wasn't in the room at the time so no one realised how serious it was until she started screaming and the blood started to flow (that was also the last time I let other people handle him. She was bitten multiple times.

I am telling you this because this attack started with him nipping her and she pushing/flinging him away. He also has tested me with that first nip when I returned after 2 weeks away. If, after the initial nip I give the wrong response he would attack... I know he would as I can see it in his face! In Guffy's case, the wrong response would be to pull away, flinch, push his off or in any other way show aggression or weakness.

Some people use a sharp yelp when their sq bites them to let him know he hurt them. This may work if your pet is just playing rough and didn't mean to hurt you. With Guffy, I think that would ensure an attack.

Another technique is to put the biter back in his cage and ignore him so that he learns that biting means end of play time. I can see some difficulties with this technique as it means you have to catch and hold a critter who has just bitten you.

If you think Betty bit out of fear, then don't make sudden movements around her. How you react to her bites should really depend on what caused her to bite. The problem is that your pet is a wild animal and we often don't understand what they are thinking.

I would suggest that until you are able to find out what triggers her biting, you should not let her near your face and you should move with slow smooth movements. Make sure you handle her when the house in quiet and calm (not right after visitors leave or when someone is watching an action movie in the next room)

Last edited by Little Red : 01-29-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:08 AM
SQUIRREL MOM

Very good comments LR - it's hard to know what sets them off sometimes. I've tried several types of discipline with my foxer and I have pretty much taken the approach that AC does now, if she seems in a bad mood, I just leave her alone. You get to know the looks they give when they are really ticked and those are obvious times not to try to touch them, but sometimes, it comes out of nowhere and totally unexpected. Like you said, they remain wild animals.

A face bite from a pet though sounds more like an accident than something on purpose, even my foxer who has attacked me a couple of times has never attempted to bite my face. Unless your chippy is young and really feeling wild and chomping at anything that's close. Was it just the one bite?

I do agree with Mid too, if you try to push them away or fling in anyway, if it's a true attack, those actions would make it worse. Holding completely still, being quiet and hiding your hands will sometimes quiet the attack if you're by yourself. My hubby was home at the time my foxer attacked me, so I yelled for him to come and help me and while I stood still, he calmly picked her up and moved her to another part of the room. She was completely fine with him, it was me she was ticked at for some reason. They are definately fickle little creatures sometimes. She was very young at that time, only about 7 months old.

Last edited by BusySqrl : 02-02-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Unhappy

Well I am it wasn't out of fear, since she doesn't show any fear of people. She did get me much worse today (she attacked my neck, unprovoked from what I can tell). I tried uploading a pic, but Imgur is giving me trouble. I t seems like she goes out of her way to attack/bite skin. She noticed finger stick out of the sleeve of my sweatshirt, and tried to get at it. Luckily I pulled it into my shirt in time. I don't know what to do. I've stopped giving her any treats when she's out, because that seemed to be a trigger, I don't touch her because that was a trigger, I never wake her up to come out, and I don't make her come out, I only offer my arm so she can come out if she wants. I don't put my hand in her cage if she's close by or awake either. WHat else can I do?