thepetsquirrelboard.com Forums  

Go Back   thepetsquirrelboard.com Forums > SQUIRRELS > GENERAL SQUIRREL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2011, 11:10 AM

Default Squirrel Meowing Noise?

Why do squirrels meow? This is from a happy healthy 7 month old squirrel. Normally he only makes lil oinking/grunting piggy noises to show excitement er happiness etc and moves his tail a lot to try to communicate.

Last night he meowed four times. It sounded exactly like a short cat meow. I was concerned that he might be hurt or sad er in pain, but he seemed perfectly fine, tho his ears were up and alert. He did not appear scared.

The other info is that we had started playing a new video game and that every meow was while the sound on the game was going (happycheerful background music, but some of the sounds could possibly have sounded like meows to him I suppose)

we do not have cats, but he was recently baby say for a few days by a woman who has a friendly cat that meows frequently.

Anytime we turned the sound down on the game er paused it he made no sounds. he did not meow constantly during the game, just once in awhile.

I played sounds on my pc of squirrels chattering, scolding and even meowing but he gave no reaction to any of this :O

Do u think he disliked the game music? Did it make him sad? Or was he just trying to talk to it?

Does anyone elses squirrel meow? Do u have any clue if it is just talking er crying er sad er lonely er happy er what? He did not seem sad er anything, but the noise sounds sad to me lol

I found a link to a squirrel making the exact same sound on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvfU7...el_video_title
Old 10-26-2011, 11:17 AM

That's an alarm call albeit a soft one. I have seen wilds call like this if they saw a hawk or a cat nearby. The sounds you were playing may have been disturbing to him.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:21 AM

ok, I guess I will have to play that game on mute then. I don't want him to be worried. He seemed calm, eating, making his bed up, getting snuggled in it etc, except for that occasional odd sound that he never made before. thankyou so much for your input
Old 10-26-2011, 11:40 AM

I would just turn it down. I had a squirrel do that call while pancaking on my dining room table for no obvious reason...at least to me. He may have seen something outside that alarmed him.
I believe it's a call to other animals to signal danger.
It may even be something he sees on the screen?
Their hearing and eyesight is so much more acute and specialized than ours.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Administrator

I have to ask you if you know this squirrel? I have 3 squirrels and 2 cats and all of them were seating right here when I played the recording none of them did anything..

I think that the one on the video was crying and wanting back into the house..Maybe you're squirrel was wanting you to play with him/her.

But I have never heard a squirrel make that kind of sound..But it could have been born with a deform voice box there could be many reason..
Old 10-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Old Grey Squirrel Grammar Nazi

Hello and Welcome to TPSB. I have heard (I thought) all the different sounds that squirrels make but I have never heard this one. I have heard something similar but softer coming from babies that are hungry and calling out for Momma to come feed them. But I know of squirrels that are pets that have tried to imitate sounds that are around them. I even know of one that ACTUALLY talks. It says...MINE, NO, LOVE U, and GO TO-----. Maybe your squirrel was just trying to imitate a sound that was on your game.

I like to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil says~~
"Oh Crap, She's up!"

> In mid-life women no longer have upper arms, we have wing
spans. We are no longer women in sleeveless shirts, we are
flying squirrels in drag. >
Old 10-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Administrator

By the Way to the board..
Old 10-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Banned

Our fox squrirel would sing on rare occasions, kind of mournful sound really. We petted the one and still she went on for 5 minutes! It wasn't then an alarm of other vocalization, as tey would stop doing that when we came into their room; no this was different. It wasn't associated with our girl squirrels going into heat either. I have heard that other squirrel species sing too, but again it isn't often they do, but moreover rare. We only heard ours do this a few times over their entire lives.

Last edited by Squirrel Factor : 10-26-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Old Grey Squirrel Grammar Nazi

By the way What are you feeding him? And what kind of squirrel is he? And who was WE playing the video game? Is this people that your squirrel is accustom to seeing or being around? If there was a stranger among you maybe he didn't feel comfortable around someone in there and he may have been associating an unlikeable sound coming from the video with a person he didn't particularly like and thought that there was possible danger. Once a squirrel bonds with ONE person in particular they often resent others humans.

I like to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil says~~
"Oh Crap, She's up!"

> In mid-life women no longer have upper arms, we have wing
spans. We are no longer women in sleeveless shirts, we are
flying squirrels in drag. >

Last edited by Timber : 10-26-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Hello and Welcome to TPSB. I have heard (I thought) all the different sounds that squirrels make but I have never heard this one. I have heard something similar but softer coming from babies that are hungry and calling out for Momma to come feed them. But I know of squirrels that are pets that have tried to imitate sounds that are around them. I even know of one that ACTUALLY talks. It says...MINE, NO, LOVE U, and GO TO-----. Maybe your squirrel was just trying to imitate a sound that was on your game.
that is what my first thought was...that he had heard a sound in the game that sounded like another baby calling its mom er a mom squirrel er something, and that it made him call out in response, because he did not act distraught er panicked er anything. The game was not making the same sound but some notes in the song sounded similar to a meow, so I thought he perhaps was responding. He was alert, ears up and looking at the tv screen s if interested, but not in a panicked way. He was not shaking er running er anything, He just went on about his business of moving his nest (he makes his nest in different places about once a week every time I clean the cage) and he was eating dinner and curling up in be etc but just four seperate times he meowed.

I dunno if his voice box is good er not, because he is generally always quiet all the time and seems happy and playful. The only noises he usually makes is when excited that I am going to play with him at which time he starts oinking, purring, gruntings, er whatever u wanna call that noise.

This is the first time he has ever made an actual sound I believe except when he was a baby and wanted a drink er wanted to be held, then I think he would sometimes make a noise, but that was long ago.

I would love to hear a recording of the squirrel trying to say I love you and such, U should get a sound clip!

Also, while researching online I found people talking about squirrels quacking like a duck and also making a blue jay sound back at a blue jay when upset that the blue jay stole his food. Which made me wonder if squirrels imitate sounds?

This led me to wonder if perhaps he was imitating the sound in the game and thought it was a meow? We did recently have him babysat by a professional animal trainer while we were out of town for the weekend. She has cats and one very nice kitty meows a lot and was staying in the room with him (he was not at all scared of the cat), so I thought perhaps he picked it up from that cat and thought he heard her again and was just responding.

He is perfectly happy and energetic etc today and does not seem the least bit concerned or worried.

I just could not find anything online about squirrels meowing er why they would make that sound.