thepetsquirrelboard.com Forums  

Go Back   thepetsquirrelboard.com Forums > SQUIRRELS > 'Cages and Nestboxes'
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2011, 11:12 AM
SQUIRREL MOM

Default Large Indoor Cage

Here's a picture of a large indoor cage. This cage is 10 ft long, 6 ft tall and 5 feet wide. We used 2 x 3 for the wood and 1 x 1/2 inch GAW. We built the cage walls in panels and attached the GAW to the walls prior to the cage being screwed together. We attached the GAW to the inside of the wall frames to have less exposed wood for the squirrel to chew on. We attached the GAW with an air compressor staple gun.

Name:  IMG_0506.jpg
Views: 6976
Size:  111.9 KB

The front wall was done in 2 sections as we made a full size door for us to be able to easily go in and out of the cage. You could just make 1 section and put the door at the end too. In this case, we wanted the door in the middle of the wall, so we needed to sections to fit on either side of the door.

The floor is plywood attached to a frame made from 2 x 3 wood. The floor is on wheels so the cage can be easily adjusted and for cleaning behind. It's heavy but the wheels do make it movable.

We used regular vinyl fllooring to cover the plywood floor to make it easy to clean. We attached it to the plywood with the air compressor staple gun. It can be swept daily and then mopped and sanitized a couple of times a month.

After all the panels are assembled, the flloor was positioned in the room and we then screwed all the prefabbed walls together and then last put the ceiling on. It worked really slick and this method of putting a large cage together allows the cage to be disassembled and moved if necessary. To create a large cage and build a frame like you would a house, doesn't allow the cage to be moved as it is clearly too large to get through a door.

We used 12 inch pine for the shelves and screwed them to the cage from the outside with screws and washers. These pictures don't show it, but after we put the shelves in place, I stapled indoor/ourdoor carpet around the shelves completely covering the top, around the edge and on the bottom of the shelf as the pine is very smooth and the squirrel couldn't grip it very well. We wanted to prevent an accidental fall. Providing the extra grip of the indoor/outdoor carpet prevents the squirrel from slipping or sliding off the edge of the shelf. We then cut rugs to size and put on top of the indoor/outdoor carpet, so the rugs can be removed and washed a couple of times a week. The cage eventually had about 6 different shelves.

Name:  IMG_0508.jpg
Views: 4885
Size:  123.3 KB

This cage is also fitted with a special little door that's 12 inches square. We had this part done at a cage shop. The cut the hole in the GAW, made and installed the little door. The idea of the little door was that in the event we needed to leave for a few days, someone else could come and and feed through the little door without fear of being attacked or bit.

Name:  IMG_2421.JPG
Views: 3095
Size:  219.5 KB

We then outfitted the cage with a variety of hanging toys, branches and such.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Old Grey Squirrel Grammar Nazi

Very lovely cage! And I love the latch. Where did you get your latches? I make mine like that by hand. They are difficult to bend and form by hand now that I have gotten older and my hands do not have the strength they use to.

I like to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil says~~
"Oh Crap, She's up!"

> In mid-life women no longer have upper arms, we have wing
spans. We are no longer women in sleeveless shirts, we are
flying squirrels in drag. >
Old 09-25-2011, 01:11 PM
SQUIRREL MOM

Thank you Timber, you mean the latch on the little feeding door? The cage shop supplied that with the door.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:34 PM

Oh shoot, I was hoping that I could just order or purchase them ready made. like I said I buy the correct gagged wire and make them myself but I am getting a bit arthritic in my fingers and it is more difficult to shape them.
Attached Images

I like to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil says~~
"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Last edited by Timber : 09-25-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:41 PM
SQUIRREL MOM

We did buy some of those latches too. We got them at the cage supply place. Here's a link to where you can buy them.

http://qualitycage.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=2133
Old 12-05-2011, 06:46 PM

OMG....you could put a baboon in there...or my motherinlaw
Old 12-05-2011, 07:29 PM
SQUIRREL MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiChick View Post
or my motherinlaw

Old 12-27-2011, 02:31 AM

Thank you for sharing the photos and information.(I'm taking notes)
Old 12-27-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moze View Post
Thank you for sharing the photos and information.(I'm taking notes)
Good idea, you never know when a baby squirrel will come your way.

"Oh Crap, She's up!"