thepetsquirrelboard.com Forums  

Go Back   thepetsquirrelboard.com Forums > SQUIRRELS > SQUIRRELS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2011, 06:43 PM

Default Where to buy a pet squirrel?

I am thinking about getting a pet squirrel. This is something I want to research a little further, and everything, so it's definitely not going to be impulse buy..

But, where do I go about getting a pet squirrel? Obviously, I want one as young as possible that can be on it's own so that I can train it and get it used to me. Any help would be great.

In my state (PA) you need a permit for a wild animal, but as long as you have the paperwork from the breeder/store you got it from that's fine.. which is what I was told by from Fish and Game.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Banned

You may be able to get a Siberian Chipmunk, but as for the State of PA that is one tough place as far as native wildlife, no pets allowed as I heard, that is legally.

You might do better with a different kind of rodent that is purchasable, as squirrels are very difficult to care for, rather sophisticated diet to say the least compared to other pets.

Last edited by Squirrel Factor : 09-19-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:28 PM

You have to get a permit..

Same goes with sugar gliders and hedgehogs.

If the breeder is in PA (because there are some permitted breeder) you just need the paperwork they give you.

I am not sure about other state breeders though.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Banned

Oh, you already know then what is available, I see I missed reading the last line you wrote; sorry, rather tired today. That is good news for you then. Best wishes, SF.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:37 PM

The only squirrel breeder in PA that is lisenced that I can find wants $300 for a squirrel.. And this is for a grey squirrel.

That seems a little pricey?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Banned

When you think about it, that is really good for the squirrels at least, so some mother won't go buying a squirrel at the price of a guinea pig or rat. They are sophisticated pets, not for children moreover, and require allot more care than a cat dog, rat, or guinea pig does in general. But then again it isn't just the initial price, as perhaps a NR squirrel will come along you could love and care for, but the price of longterm maintenance, not just monitarily, but also in time commitment. Having had a few squirrels, one that live to past 11 years, I hope you won't mind if I pass along some info that you will need to know before taking on the care of a tree squirrel.

In wanting to go on vacations you will need to find a caretaker for your time awayUnless you know a rehabber that would be willing to care for your squrirel while on vacation, which could be a very good option, I wouldn't put yourself into that position as a squirrel pet owner. One of my own squirrels developed a conditin she would get when she came into season that required medication for the duration, which turned out to be about 6-7 weeks twice a year. No one else could give it to her in my family, only a rehabber could, so we stayed home for years and didn't go on vacations during that time. Near the end of her life she required for another condition medication twice daily, again we didn't go anywhere for nearly 2 years. It is not like a dog you can leave in a kenal, or have your neighbor feed them easily at home, their diet is complicated. Having an evacuation plan for our squirrels pet sitter while we were away as to be able our squirrel out in case of an emergency, really took some diong for us. We were blest that the young woman was well tolerated by my fox Squirrel, being handlable by this one person, but not others, many squirrels won't willing allow themselves to be handled by strangers. Our girl W a real exception her Vets told us, being illing to be gently lifed from her tummy, not above like a predator does, to be put into a pillowcase next to her nest, a safe place where she would lay during the day, she was comfortable with moving her a few inches into the pillowcase. Then should your squirrel for some reason develop a condition that requires medication, as our did twice a year during when she was in heat, that time as well cannot be used for going on trips save short ones during the day. When she was in old age moreover she developed a back condition that required medication twice daily, so for that time about two years we didn't go anywhere save during the day and then I had someone here to keep an eye on her as well. it is like a child, you just don't leave them sick with the help, but stay with them. For active people, this can be a undesireable restriction on their time. It takes allot of time as well to work with a squirrel to get it to trust you and accept you as it is, and that can't be put off for other plans either. One really needs to count the cost before taking on a tree squirrel as a pet, or even as a caretake for a NR squirrel; there is a significant cost of time to do so, let alone very expensive vet bills if they should need surgury. I know, our one squirrel had two surgeries in her life and each cost about 500 to 700 dollars. Counting the cost of taking on a squirrel that may live to or past 13 years, and require daily medication then too is no small thing, and with squirrels moreover you can't just give them awy to another to take care of, as they bone with their owners and may refuse handling by all others. Being willing to pay the cost, whether that be in time or monitarily is all part of what is needful to decide before taking on a tree squirrel as a pet. Having had a fox squrirel for over eleven years, this was our experience; others have related much the same in regards to the time and monitary commitment needed to rightly support a pet squirrel, especially when it comes to some NR squirrels, which all in any case then become once they become pets. SF.

Last edited by Squirrel Factor : 09-20-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:23 PM

I understand how much of a special attention a pet can need. For 3 years I took care of a very sick dog all while running an in home pitbull rescue, and working a full time job.

We don't vacation because of the pets, and our schedules make so that the longest our pets need crated is 6 hours max.

I've been through my ups and downs with sick/needy pets. The sick dog was the most extensive.. needing shots and special s almost every day.. special meds everyday.. special food measured out just right...

The reptile with Metabolic Bone Disease needed calcium injections just so he could move at first, and those injections often lead him to have seizures.

The list goes on.. I'm like a magnet for the special pets.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

Well then sounds like you do have the time to devote to a squirrel as you have shared, I hope you can find one in need, rather than buy one. In anycase hope your heart's desire is fullfilled, for some squirrel will surely be blest in that event.

I just thought to mention that back sometime I had up what was the result of my own personal study of research on calcium uptake in mammals, having applied that to tree squirrels. It is now in use and those using it are doing well, with more energy, better metabolism and the support for Calcium according to the top researchers in the World from the last ten years that has brought a breakthrough to be able to reverse for the first time in history Stage I osteoporosis, and prevent it, as well as stop Stage II from progressing. The form for humans as well as pets recommended for weaned individuals by Major Medical association is Citrates of Both Calcium and Magnesium not the old alkaline form that was thought to be the best support for bone and metabolic health back in the last Century. Now proven, in case studies as well as rat studies, the ratio noted for humans though off really not enough Magnesium according to experts is still well on the mark for pets, for reason humans intake far more Calcium to begin with. With the diet I have compiled for tree squrirels in support of Calcium and metabolic health, having left out the foods that have high levels of anti nutrients, and those not digestable raw, the diet took form and is in all ergards to forms squirrels eat in the wild a mirror of those foods in cultivated form moreover, even so natural foods are also recommended to include. With it comes a supplement that is measured for protein as well as Calcium and Magnesium and D3 for squirrels by weight. All that has been done to put this together is again based on the most up to date science research and findings, and so far the squirrels on it are doing very well, and loving the non cooking form it comes in, even a squirrel without teeth can eat, and has.

Best wishes with your dog, and take a look online for Citrate forms for dogs as that is now out too, much more supportive of them and no chance of getting kidney stones with this form as there is with the Alkaline forms for those individuals that lack sufficient digestive bacteria to prevent that.

SF
Old 09-20-2011, 07:58 PM

I try to feed my pets the best thing possible, and for my pets other than my cats and dogs, I try to replicate what they would get in the wild. So that's definitely a quest for a squirrel.

I do feed my dogs the best holistic food possible, same with the cats.

The sick dog however, is no longer with us. After thousands of tests the vet said the best thing would be to put him to sleep.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Administrator

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog..I know how it feels to lose a loved one..