thepetsquirrelboard.com Forums  

Go Back   thepetsquirrelboard.com Forums > SQUIRRELS > HEALTH AND HAPPINESS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 10:55 PM

Default Fox Valley Nutrition is junk. Ordinary dried milk with chemicals.

I found a baby squirrel and spent the day researching what to feed it.

I ended up having a discussion on the squirrelboard.com/forums, and they were extremely dogmatic about their idea that all baby squirrels MUST be fed Fox Valley Nutritional supplement, there was absolutely no questioning this fact.

When I DID question it and merely asked, what was in it, all these crazy people began attacking me like they had rabies. Totally BIZARRE!

And then I decided to look at the INGREDIENTS in Fox Valley Nutrition and could not believe what junk that stuff is.

Every other post on Squirrelboard.com/forums is about their squirrel having diarrhea. Well I can tell you why their squirrels all have Diarrhea, IT'S THE FREAKING FOX VALLEY FORMULA.

It's got Magnesium Sulfate in it, which is Epsom Salt....which gives you Diarrhea.

I tried to explain to them that the ingredients in Fox Valley Formula are the lowest grade vitamins, the cheapest, and least bioavailable forms you can buy, together with suspicious ingredients you find in industrial CHICKEN FEED.
Here are the ingredients.

Quote:
Vegetable Oils, Dried Milk Protein, Dried Hydrolyzed Casein, Dried Skimmed Milk, Dried Corn Syrup Solids, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, D,L,Methionine, L-Arginine Sodium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Glycine, L-Lysine, L-Threonine, Taurine,L-Tyrosine, Calcium Iodate, Biotin.
These people absolutely HATED me for telling them this, but there is nothing special in this formula, it is just dried milk with some cheap, low quality vitamins thrown in, and vegetable oil.

I told them dissolving a centrum vitamin in some evaporated milk would be better than this. Real milk is better than Dried milk powder, they have to supplement all the vitamins in milk after it's been dried.

this really pisses me off, because there is no regulation of what they put in pet foods, or foods that are classified as 'supplements' like this. They are poisoning and killing these squirrels with this garbage, not to mention all the other wildlife they feed this crap.

Anyways it really bugged me how all these self righteous crazy women on Squirrelboard.com/forum thought they were the experts on squirrel nutrition and didn't know what a single ingredient in the Fox Valley formula was, and wouldn't even read anything I posted, they deleted the thread for God's sake and banned me.

It sounds like someone is shilling for this company, the adminstrator seemed to be friends with the guy who makes this stuff.

Anyways, that board SUUUUUCKKSSS. This board is WAYY better.

Last edited by Spike : 09-14-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Vegetable Oils, Dried Milk Protein, Dried Hydrolyzed Casein, Dried Skimmed Milk, Dried Corn Syrup Solids, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, D,L,Methionine, L-Arginine Sodium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Glycine, L-Lysine, L-Threonine, Taurine,L-Tyrosine, Calcium Iodate, Biotin.
None of those fools on squirrelboard.com knows anything about nutrition.

I told them I had put cracked oats, corn, walnuts, beans, rice, carrots, celery, brown sugar, cheerios, and lots of other stuff in my squirrels box, plus feeding her puppy milk, and they all were saying how horrible I was, because I wasn't feeding her this Fox Valley garbage. They are stupid, but I never once told them that, instead I tried to explain that the ingredients in this junk are quite possibly harmful to the squirrels, but they were disgusted by my scientific, researched approach.

Most of these vitamin supplements in this Fox Valley is the cheapest, industrial sludge you can buy, that isn't even discussed seriously as a nutritional supplement when you do the research.

Zinc Sulfate? are you kidding me?
magnesium sulfate?
Manganese sulfate?
Copper Sulfate?

this stuff is dried milk mixed with industrial waste.

Last edited by Spike : 09-14-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Administrator

OK... First things first.. Welcome to the board..And to tell you the truth..I have never used Fox Valley..I don't know any think about it..

What I have used is Esbilac..I have never had any trouble with it..I believe that we need to do what is best for the animals..

I do not believe that everyone over there uses Fox Valley am sure there are some who still use Esbilac..

I have never looked up whats in Fox Valley and I will ask a few of our members to do that for us..

I do not have any stock in Esbilac or anything that I use..Maybe they all have stock in it Only joking..I have heard that some had trouble with Esbilac after a change was made to it..I have been very luck not to have that problem..

But just so you know this is a very friendly board we are not going to fuss with you about what you feed your baby..We will tell you what we have found that works for us..And we will do our best to explain why to you..We are all here for one reason only and that is the welfare of the baby..

I don't think we have one person on this board that is what I would call a follower..Every one here is there on self and speaks for there on self..You will also find that some members here are also members on other boards..And I'm not going to let anyone cut down another boards here, its not called for..And it doesn't come to any good.

We would love to see pictures of your baby and get the time to get to know you and your baby..

If you have a question please ask we will do our best to answer it for you..And you may or may not agree with something that one of us say..But its the way that we handle it that we hope will make the different..We can all teach each other some thing..We just have to be willing to want to learn..And god knows I love to learn something new..

So again Welcome to thepetsquirrelboard..Please look around make your self at home and tell us all about the real reason you came to one of these places is your baby..

Midnight

Last edited by Midnight : 09-14-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

I do use FV and have had a few issues with it myself for store bought I do believe it to be the best. The very best thing you can use is goats milk with heavy cream and full fat yogurt. Goats milk is to animals is like human o blood. the heavy cream is to raise the fat content and the yogurt for digestive ease.

If you want to feed the very best here you go. Good luck with your little one.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Old Grey Squirrel Grammar Nazi

Esbilac makes a Goats Milk formula also. Haven't looked up the ingredients yet.

I like to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil says~~
"Oh Crap, She's up!"

> In mid-life women no longer have upper arms, we have wing
spans. We are no longer women in sleeveless shirts, we are
flying squirrels in drag. >
Old 09-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Hi Lilidukes good to see you happy to know you made it pasted the Hurricane I was worried and send out a few messages to find you..But I didn't know that you could even buy Fox Valley at a store..I was thinking you had to get it from the maker only..THank s for the info..
Old 09-15-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
OK... First things first.. Welcome to the board..And to tell you the truth..I have never used Fox Valley..I don't know any think about it..

What I have used is Esbilac..I have never had any trouble with it..I believe that we need to do what is best for the animals..

I do not believe that everyone over there uses Fox Valley am sure there are some who still use Esbilac..

I have never looked up whats in Fox Valley and I will ask a few of our members to do that for us..

I do not have any stock in Esbilac or anything that I use..Maybe they all have stock in it Only joking..I have heard that some had trouble with Esbilac after a change was made to it..I have been very luck not to have that problem..

But just so you know this is a very friendly board we are not going to fuss with you about what you feed your baby..We will tell you what we have found that works for us..And we will do our best to explain why to you..We are all here for one reason only and that is the welfare of the baby..

I don't think we have one person on this board that is what I would call a follower..Every one here is there on self and speaks for there on self..You will also find that some members here are also members on other boards..And I'm not going to let anyone cut down another boards here, its not called for..And it doesn't come to any good.

We would love to see pictures of your baby and get the time to get to know you and your baby..

If you have a question please ask we will do our best to answer it for you..And you may or may not agree with something that one of us say..But its the way that we handle it that we hope will make the different..We can all teach each other some thing..We just have to be willing to want to learn..And god knows I love to learn something new..

So again Welcome to thepetsquirrelboard..Please look around make your self at home and tell us all about the real reason you came to one of these places is your baby..

Midnight

Thank you so much for your welcome, what a difference.

I was at the park walking my dog and was talking to someone else, with a dog and this baby squirrel came running up out of nowhere, chasing both of our dogs. My dog is pretty peaceful and just sort of stared at the squirrel like it was crazy, but the other dog was just pulling at the leash, trying to grab it, while his owner was trying his hardest to control the dog, but the squirrel kept running toward the dog, so I had to grab it and pick it up, I'd never picked up a baby squirrel before so I had no idea what it would do, it just sat still in my hand, while I carried it, so I just took it home, thought I'd help it til it was ready to climb trees and stuff.

It's so cool to watch and study a squirrel close up, see all the little things they do, I am always amazed at home intelligent animals truly are, and everything I've seen confirms this.

He has basically been almost zero maintanence, he loves the box I made for him. When i take him out, after he runs around awhile, he runs back and figure out how to climb back into his box (by climbing up the electric blanket cord). He absolutely loves the electric blanket. I knew animals love that thing, my dog loves it too. My dog got really sick one time, and I put the electric blanket around it and she got better after one night.

People were writing about how they notice the squrrel tryin to curl up in their neck and crawling all over and I realized they are looking for warmth, basically, the baby squirrels who don't have full fur and don't have the ability to produce sufficient body heat yet.

anyways, since I had no idea what to feed a baby squirrel I've been researching it all.

I read the ingredients on the Fox Valley and was unimpressed, I read the vitamins in the Hartz Puppy Milk, and I am guessing now Goat's milk is probably the way to go.

In interesting thing I read, is that egg yolks contain everything a baby squirrel needs. Also that squirrels cannot produce their own vitamin C, and apes and humans are the only other mammals that cannot.

I enjoy learning that's why I was shocked at the ignorance and hostility on squirrelboard.com/forum to an in depth discussion of nutrtion.

http://www.3.waisays.com/

I found this link above a very fascinating discussion of vitamin supplements, I've never really seen any 'health nuts' who looked all that healthy, and I've tried soo many supplements and found that they really do nothing, in fact I think they are harmful, which is what alot of doctors say, and the link above explains why. your develop a tolerance for them, your cells become resistant to the effects of vitamins, like insulin resistance.

But anyways, thanks for your welcome, I'll post some pictures. My main reason was just to find out info on what to feed them, I'm kinda having fun trying things, seeing what they like.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
Hi Lilidukes good to see you happy to know you made it pasted the Hurricane I was worried and send out a few messages to find you..But I didn't know that you could even buy Fox Valley at a store..I was thinking you had to get it from the maker only..THank s for the info..
FV is "computer" store bought is what I ment.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:27 AM

Here are the ingredients of Esbilac powder.

Quote:
Esbilac Powder for Puppies
Ingredients: Vegetable Oil, Casein, Whey Protein Concentrate, Dried Skimmed Milk, Butter Fat, Monocalcium Phosphate, Egg Yolk, Calcium Carbonate, L-arginine , DL-methionine, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Lechithin, Monopotassium Phosphate, Magnesium Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Salt, Dipotassium Phosphate, Calcium Pantothenate, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Folic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Silicon Dioxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Potassium
Citrate, Potassium Iodide, Biotin.
Here are the ingredients in centrum vitamins. You can buy the liquid form and put some drops in some goat's milk, and I think you would really have a better formula, nutritionwise. Centrum uses more expensive, better forms of the vitamins.

Here are the ingredients of Centrum Vitamins.

Quote:
Ingredients
Calcium Carbonate , Potassium Chloride , Dibasic Calcium Phosphate , Magnesium Oxide , Microcrystalline Cellulose , Ascorbic Acid (Vit. C) , Ferrous Fumarate , Pregelatinized Corn Starch , dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E) , Contains 2% of: Acacia , Beta-Carotene , BHT , Biotin , Boric Acid , Calcium Pantothenate , Calcium Stearate , Cholecalciferol (Vit. D3) , Chromium Picolinate , Citric Acid , Corn Starch , Crospovidone , Cupric Sulfate , Cyanocobalamin (Vit. B12) , FD&C Yellow No. 6 Aluminum Lake , Folic Acid , Gelatin , Hydrogenated Palm Oil , Hypromellose , Manganese Sulfate , Medium-Chain Triglycerides , Modified Food Starch , Niacinamide , Nickelous Sulfate , Phytonadione (Vit. K) , Polyethylene Glycol , Polyvinyl Alcohol , Potassium Iodide , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vit. B6) , Riboflavin (Vit. B2) , Silicon Dioxide , Sodium Ascorbate , Sodium Benzoate , Sodium Citrate , Sodium Metavanadate , Sodium Molybdate , Sodium Selenate , Sorbic Acid , Stannous Chloride , Sucrose , Talc , Thiamine Mononitrate (Vit. B1) , Titanium Dioxide , Tocopherols , Tribasic Calcium Phosphate , Vitamin A Acetate (Vit. A) , Zinc Oxide , May Also Contain 2% of: Ascorbyl Palmitate , Maltodextrin , Sodium Aluminosilicate , Sunflower Oil
They sell Centrum in liquid form, you could just add a few drops to your goat's milk. Have to figure out the dosage, I guess, the dosage in a centrum dosage is for 150lb person.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Banned

Just thought to point out as one that has studied diet intensely even so the nutrients listed are good, they aren't in the measured amounts safe for squirrels to have not being in the weight range of dogs, or cats, which are of course considerably heavier than a squirrel. Vitamine D3 (Cholecalciferol) for example, is toxic to rodent at higher levels. It take more than just nutrients alone then to work well to support these animals, it takes knowledge of them as a species to determine what levels of these nutrients they need daily that are at a safe level, and then not to over supplement or under supplement to work with a diet. The protein for example needs to be at about 14-15 percenet for maintenance, and that is with what comes in a daily meal. I have done this research and have developed a diet that is safe and supportive for these animals having studied research on the nutrients they need to support their metabolic and bone health. I hope to have my revised version of the diet and supplement up soon. SF

Last edited by Squirrel Factor : 09-16-2011 at 07:15 PM.