thepetsquirrelboard.com Forums  

Go Back   thepetsquirrelboard.com Forums > SQUIRRELS > SQUIRRELS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 PM

Default Squirrel with itchy ear

A few months ago I rescued a squirrel from my cat.She has a lame hand from the attack so she's a house pet now.
She keep itching one ear and making herself a little scab.I know it's not manage or anything like that.
Can squirrels get ear mites?I have looked in her little ears as best as I can and they look clean.I know her little ear bothers her and I didn't know what to put on it that was safe for squirrels.She's getting the proper diet so I know it's not a diet thing.I don't know if she just has allergies or what.I checked her for fleas and I don't see any.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Hi.. Please give us a little info about your baby..Please tell us what the proper diet is that you are feeding her..And we do love pictures..
Again welcome to the board let me know if I can be of any help..
Old 06-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Old Grey Squirrel Grammar Nazi

I read around and it does seem that they can very possibly get/have ear mites. I HAVE NOT personally had to deal with this problem so I CAN"T REALLY SAY FOR SURE but from some of the reading I did last night this can be treated with ivermectin or revolution.
Also from what I READ you can use the ivermectin either topically or orally but if given orally you have to be so very careful about the dosage compared to weight of squirrel.
Anyway I am sure someone else will have better and more correct answers for this problem.

I like to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil says~~
"Oh Crap, She's up!"

> In mid-life women no longer have upper arms, we have wing
spans. We are no longer women in sleeveless shirts, we are
flying squirrels in drag. >
Old 06-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyshyla View Post
A few months ago I rescued a squirrel from my cat.She has a lame hand from the attack so she's a house pet now.
She keep itching one ear and making herself a little scab.I know it's not manage or anything like that.
Can squirrels get ear mites?I have looked in her little ears as best as I can and they look clean.I know her little ear bothers her and I didn't know what to put on it that was safe for squirrels.She's getting the proper diet so I know it's not a diet thing.I don't know if she just has allergies or what.I checked her for fleas and I don't see any.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Yes they can get ear mites..One of my babies Prissy got mites and i was able to get this at the pet store to try and it worked great just one treatment and they were gone..It was "Zodiac Flea & Tick spong-on"..Please be sure and wash all your Babies bedding and her cage..Make sure that you use a little bleach..

I hope this helps you..

Last edited by Midnight : 06-09-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:48 PM
SQUIRREL MOM

A rehabber I know uses a couple of drops of Revolution between the shoulder blades right on their skin and says that should take care of any buggies or mites. Works very well.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Hey thank you BS I'll have to remember that..
Old 06-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Banned

Just thought to share that our Fox squirrel had itchy ears, but when examined by her Vet was found to have no mites, or bugs of anykind. So it isn't necessarily from mites, though of course it can be.. It is now molting season and one of the first areas they scratch at during the molt is their ears. A low functioning thyroid glad will also result in dry skin. Our girl would take her back foot and put her nail in her ear it was so itchy from dryness.

Too do a test on the inside of the outer ear for mites, using a non wood cotton cue-tip with a drop of glycerin on the tip, swab the inside of the outer ear, and then do it again using the other end for the area just ouside the ear in the hair. Then using a magnifier with a light, take a look. To take a look down the ear canal a scope needs to be used; that is what our Vet used to check for mites or other parasites in our squirrel's ears. Though wilds have them, if a squirrel is kept indoors and there is no other evidence than itching, it is best to first have a diagnosis for mites confirmed by a professional before giving them medication for mites, as to not medicate an animal that may it, as ours didn't, just having itchy ears from the molt. If not then from mites, or even if from them, a little non pain formula neosporin on the scab will help it to heal, and help with itching.

Last edited by Squirrel Factor : 06-09-2011 at 10:49 PM.