PDA

View Full Version : squirrel not eating

biofreeze
08-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Hi I am new to this forum. I have a pet squirrel. He was found in the yard, my husband an I bottle fed and raised him. He is now 11 months old. He has a 4x3x6 cage. He also has full run of the enclosed back porch. We have been feeding him Kaytee forti-diet pellets and misc. fuirts and vegetables. He has always eaten right away when being fed. Starting today he has not eaten as much or with his usual enthusiasm. He is drinking just fine. He tries to hide the pieces of food instead of eating it. He did eat some later this evening. Does anyone know if this is normal for a male squirrel to act in this manner? Is he storing for winter?

Thanks for any information.

Midnight
08-28-2009, 09:07 PM
:Welcome To the board..Kaytee is good mouse,hamster and so on food..What kind of vegetables and fruits or you feeding him.. By the way whats his name? I have 2 males Manny and Shade..They do get bored with food all the time..Manny will love something one day and the next want touch it..You say that he is drinking water ok..How are the body functions working..Does his poo look ok? Is he still playing like he has? Has anything other changed?
:)

AppleCorps
08-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Welcome to our Forum - ditto Mids questions thus far - please do tell us some more.

biofreeze
08-28-2009, 09:16 PM
his poo and pee are fine. a female squirrel has been hanging around. he plays fine also. on occassion, he gets roasted peanuts, bits of banana, raisins, carrots. we have purposely cut back on the size of his servings as he was getting plump. he looks as though he may have lost a tad bit of weight. maybe there is nothing wrong, just wandering if it could have anything to do with season change, maturity, or the blasted hot days in s.e. united states.
thanks.

Midnight
08-28-2009, 09:20 PM
It could be all of those things.. Do you give him wood to chew on? He has to have this to keep his teeth the right size..If not his teeth can grow to long and he will not be able to eat..

biofreeze
08-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Yes, he has plenty to chew on, even those Hamsteroids (calcium things), branches we give him, wicker furniture, etc. Thanks for the feedback.

Midnight
08-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Do you mind if I ask what did you feed him as a baby..It would be helpful if you could tell us a little about yourself, have you ever had a squirrel as a pet before?..I don't want to start telling you think that you know and hurt your feelings..

We are a small very friendly board and we will be happy to answer any questions that you have..And help you anyway we can..But we do need a little history on him so we can do that..:coffeecomputer

biofreeze
08-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Not a problem. This is our first rescued squirrel. We knew another person that had raised a baby squirrel so when we found QUAGMIRE, we talked to them.

They told us to get Esbilac and/or pedialyte to feed him with an eye dropper. He was dehydrated and eyes closed when found running from an attacking sand hill crane. We bottle fed him for about 6 weeks or so when he started eating things like small grapes and seeds we gave him. We weren't sure he would survive the first few days but he did. He is doing great now aside from the recent eating difference. We did reseach as well. We haven't read anything about eating habit changes.

We do appreciate any advice or guidance. Thank you.

Midnight
08-28-2009, 09:49 PM
He is a lucky young man to have ya'll in his life..How does his fur look and feel?

biofreeze
08-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Fur is fine. His color is getting a little more red/orange along the sides of his stomach. Eyes and ears good. Teeth appear fine. He still is very attentive and playful. Maybe this is just a growing phase? He will be 1 year old in October.

BTW, what is the life span of squirrels? I read anywhere from 7-20 years. Any other numbers with a more definitive range?

Thanks.

Midnight
08-28-2009, 10:05 PM
They are like any pet can live a long time if you take care of them..I have heard about squirrels living passed 20 years but I don't know of anyone who has had one that long..
With everything that you are telling me he doesn't sound like his sick..Animals are like us the weather can have a lot to do with them eating..If its to hot I want eat..Squirrels do get bored with there food fast..In the morning why don't you fix him some fruit and veggies..Write down how much you give him of each thing..See how much he eats..If his not to hot or tried from playing and he still doesn't eat..Then we may want to find you someone to look at him..

AppleCorps
08-28-2009, 10:47 PM
With TLC they can live 15+ years.

I agree with Mids comments.

Diet is really important - two of the better nuts for him are almonds and filberts. Very few peanuts, very little sunflower seed. You can actually make some healthy rodent blocks in your kitchen or purchase them Henry's Healthy Squirrel Blocks.

BTW - WE LOVE PICTURES :D

steven eugene squirrel
08-29-2009, 08:15 AM
i have an eastern grey, steven, and three flyers in residence. steven and two of my flyers just turned two. mine also have half of my sun porch and their cages.
eastern greys are rather social animals. they do need some attention. i actually devote on average of 2 hours a day to steven. we watch tv and finger wrestle. but he still goes through periods of time where he won't eat anything but nuts in the shell or fresh stuff i have gathered from the yard. i think it has something to do with their maturation and the time of the year. when the little females start hanging round steve gets a bit down and doesn't seem as much interested in our time together or his food.
also make sure that quagmire is getting calcium in his diet. steve and my flyers all enjoy yoplait. vanilla and blueberry are very popular flavors with the group.
hope i have been of some help.

and again welcome!!!

biofreeze
08-29-2009, 08:57 AM
There has been a female squirrel hanging around and climbing on the wire screen on the porch and he does seem interested in the trallup! We kind of figured this is what the difference is but wanted to hear from the experts. We are changing his diet today and giving more rodent blocks and much less sunflower seeds. We usually use the seeds for treats but I had included more with his meals within the last week since he seemed to really like them.

Thanks everyone. :thankyou

Midnight
08-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Biofreeze here are a few things that you can get a most any store all of these are good in calcium. Calcium is very important you need to make sure that your baby also gets the right amount of sunlight. You donít want him to get MBD as you have a computer and you have already done a lot of research Iím sure you have read about this. I guess I should ask you if you understand about MBD? You should read up on this. We can tell you all about it but it would be best that you look this up and then just asks if you have a question about it. Here are a few things I feed my boys that they love most of the time. How was his eating this morning? I have to ask because you said that you have him on a porch how much sun does he get? Also does he stay out there all the time or does he come into the house..I guess what I mean to ask is about his living arrangements. Like my boys stay in the house in air most of the time..I have a room set up for them to play in and I put them in that room 2 times a day for about 2 hours each time..Because I don't have a porch that is screened in I have to take them outside in there cages where they can get sunlight for about 30 to 45 minutes a day..Sometimes longer it really depends..I keep them in front of a window in the house but I know that they dont get the right light in front of the window. They are very loving pets but are a lot of work and as I'm sure you are now learning a very expensive pet to have..I know that we spent around $70.00 a week on veggies for them..You will also see we have a recipe thread..That was started to help us use up the left over veggies that we dont feed the boys..

High in Calcium

Kale (raw leaves) 249 mg
Almonds 234 mg
Broccoli (raw) 48 mg
Brussels Sprouts 36 mg
Swiss Chard (raw) 88 mg
Filberts (Hazelnuts) 209 mg

biofreeze
08-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Quagmire is kept on a roofed screen porch, not like an open ceiling pool porch and it faces the east, so he gets plenty of sunlight during the day. There is a ceiling fan out there too so he gets air flow during the heat of the day. He sometimes gets to come inside when really hot out and is kept in a small cage where his exercise wheel is.

Today, the wife and I did a complete cleaning of the porch and all his toys, sweeping, vaccumming and throwing out all his food stashs so we can start fresh.We gave him just a Kaytee rodent block this morning and he ate part to most of it. He got a couple raisins too but hid them. He will get another rodent block for dinner. We will shop tonight or Sunday and get him broccoli, almonds and hazelnuts to increase his calcium intake.

I know about expensive, we built his cage from scratch ($250+), replaced the screen on the porch with aluminum, which he promptly chewed through ($400), then placed 1/2" box wire over the screen which he can't get through ($200). Those are just the big expenses, food, toys, etc. are pricey too. He got outside one time, chewed through plastic screen and we were lucky to get him back. Our area has lots of hawks and other things that enjoy squirrels. He is so imprinted on us, we were afraid to release him, not never having rescued a squirrel before. So we kept him. Of course people argue that they should be released but I must say they do make good pets for adults.

I'll read again about MBD to refresh my mind. Thanks for the listing of high calcium foods.

AppleCorps
08-29-2009, 07:00 PM
bio - oh we know about the $$

I'll get you a copy of the homemade squirrel block recipe - probably much better than what is commercially available. I nibbled one that I made but without any sugar I passed on it - too healthy :rolf4

Midnight
08-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Yep you do know the cost...I have learned to eat veggies that I would have never tried if it wasn't for the boys..Sometimes I wish they had a sample section in the veggie department..I hate when I buy a new veggie and bring it home and both boys turn up there nose at it :eek:..
It sounds like Quagmire gets enough sunlight..His a very lucky young man to have ya'll to love and care for him..We would love to see pictures of him :camera2..Please make yourself at home and look around..this is really a pet board if you have other pets we would love to see and hear about them..
I know that some people dont think that wild-life should be kept as pets..And they have good points about why..But you know sometimes you just look into the eyes of a baby and it takes your heart right there..And when that happens the only thing you can do is learn how to give it the best life you can..We are happy to have ya'll with us..We will be happy to help with any questions that you may have..:coffeecomputer

steven eugene squirrel
08-30-2009, 10:14 AM
i also have a mini rex rabbit in house. so i try to rotate between what the squirrels prefer and what the rabbit prefers. sylvia loves fennel. strange vegetable, it smells like black licorice. tastes sort of like that too.

biofreeze
08-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Quagmire ate 1/6 piece of a large apple, some Kale, two large grapes, and several pieces of slices almonds, so far today. he refused to even smell raisins and bananas which are his favorite. he did not touch his Katee pellet. he is drinking.

we found a few pieces of poo and he did pee.

he is playing as usual. he paces from window to window looking outside.

we will try to get some pics.
thanks for all your advise and info.

Midnight
08-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Sounds like he is eating good..All of that is very good for him..Pictures would be great..We do love them..:coffeecomputer

biofreeze
08-30-2009, 12:51 PM
trying to load pic

biofreeze
08-30-2009, 12:56 PM
here is another picture of quagmire playing today. he is so cute.:rolf4

AppleCorps
08-30-2009, 02:23 PM
A littler smaller version - 1

AppleCorps
08-30-2009, 02:24 PM
That is one cute & healthy looking fuzzer :D

AppleCorps
08-30-2009, 02:28 PM
and the other

Squirrel Factor
08-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi, I thought to throw my 2 cents in here and add to the wisdom already shared. Squirrels can get board of the diet they have, so it is needful to change it out from time to time. The new things yoyu have offered him are better moreover than what you were feeding him, so keep that up.

One other thing can stop a squirrel from eating, that is not from a systemic problem, that being a problem with their back teeth. Our own squirrel stopped eating and then drinking for what we found out too late was a problem she had with her back teeth. If your squirrel show any signs of thick clear druel coming down from the corners of his mouth, that is very likely from a back tooth issue, as our Vet told us. Sadly I was fooled when our girl began to eat again, but then she stopped dropping her food out of her mouth, as if her teeth were sore. If you witness this happen with your squirrel, or he only wants soft food and drops the hard ones, take him to your Vet ASAP to have his back teeth examined under anesthesia, saldy the only way they can be examined. It is not so uncommon in older squirrels, our girl was over 11 when it happened.

SquirrelFactor

Squirrel Factor
08-30-2009, 04:54 PM
P.S. that sure is one cute, and obviously much loved squirrel!

steven eugene squirrel
08-30-2009, 06:13 PM
quagmire is a doll. sounds like he is doing better.

Midnight
08-30-2009, 06:44 PM
He sure is one nice looking squirrel you have..Give him a big kiss for us..

Squirrel Factor
08-30-2009, 07:56 PM
What a handsome BOYIE he is!

biofreeze
08-30-2009, 08:08 PM
thanks for the info on the teeth. I didn't realize they had back teeth. He is 11-12 months old. I maybe able to hold him long enough to look in the back of his mouth. I routinely move his lips and check his front teeth with no problems. He ate two medium size pieces of broccoli tonight. we have not given him any pellets and are keeping track of what he eats. he is drinking fine and playing normally.

thanks for shrinking the photos, they do look large on this site.:D

Midnight
08-30-2009, 08:20 PM
He should have a total of 22 teeth.. At 7 weeks his back teeth start to come in..He is a good looking young man..You have done and amazing job with him..His lucky to have ya'll in his life..Do you give him toys to play with..I also have baby blankets for my boys..I try not to use towels because they can hang there nails on them..Its very good your keeping up with what you feed him..They do like to try new things..I have learn that just because my boys stop eating something doesn't mean that in about 2 weeks they will eat it again.

Squirrel Factor
08-30-2009, 11:41 PM
He seems rather young to have back teeth problems, but I wanted to relate this info on the teeth all the same, for all pet owners need to know this it. As for his back teeth, they cannot be seen unless you happen to get a glimose of the bottoms when he yawns, otherwise there is a flap in the way that obsures them being seen. That is why for them to be examined, IF that were needed, that a Vet would have to put him under to see them.

I add his by way of caution, that for unless these exact symptoms presented themselevs, putting any pet under anesthesia is a risk, even so for just a minute a very low one. If that were shown to be needed, I would seek out an Exotic Vet that first has allot of experience, not just Exotic certified, who also employs the use of Sevoflourine, if at all possible, though with being under for a short time the anesthesia is not as much a factor. Sevoflourine does put them under quicker and also allows them to come out of anesthesia quicker as well. Sadly we had to learn by experience, having lost one to being under too long as well as not having the blood test done before the surgery, not at the time of the surgery, as not to to add to the overall time being under. When it came then to the matter of experience, 25 years of experience clearly beat 10, being the chief factor in our girls survival.

AppleCorps
08-31-2009, 10:52 AM
SquirrelFactor provides some valuable info.

HOWEVER - in light of all of the posts - we need to also recognize that the lil fuzzer is probably perfectly well and just being a squirrel.

Don't want to raise too many concerns unless some more significant symptoms are evident.

Peace :)

biofreeze
09-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Quagmire is not eating. yesterday he ate six sunflower seeds. he will not eat grapes, broccoli, raisins, commercial pellets, fresh apple, yougart, blueberries, wild sunflowers, peanuts, nor Kale. he spends most of his time running between windows. he does play with us but then goes back to the windows. he drinks fine. we put some apple juice in his water which he drank. he also has regular water if he chooses.his poo is much smaller and instead of the normal football shape it is irregular blackberry shaped, for a lack of a better analogy.
we kept him inside last night to see if he would get bored and eat but he did not.
I am contacting the vet today to get an appointment.

does any one know how long a squirrel can go wihtout eating?

even though he has what appears to be plenty of fat reserves I think he still needs to eat more than he has been.

can anyone think of questions the vet might ask so I can have the answers ready? what type of cage would be best to transport him in for an hour long trip, one way? I have a larger bird cage 2x2x1 and a smaller 1x1x1.

thanks for any info.

steven eugene squirrel
09-01-2009, 11:19 AM
biofreeze i think the smaller of the two cages would most probably be fine for a trip to the vet. but if your vehicle can comfortably fit the larger one then go for it. when i take steve travelling he usually just either lays down or stands on the side of the cage enjoying the air.

the most important thing for right now is to keep quagmire hydrated. and make sure he is peeing and pooping. does his urine smell strange? is he still acting normal or has he slowed down. you may be able to feel and see if he has any place that is a bit tender or sore.

you are doing the right thing by getting him to a vet!

AppleCorps
09-01-2009, 11:43 AM
bio - not eating for a day is not unheard of - I would give it another day before getting to the vet if everything else looks OK.

Most fuzzer keepers purchase a small pet carrier at PetSmart or Petco or Walmart - they work well.

steven eugene squirrel
09-01-2009, 01:05 PM
bio - not eating for a day is not unheard of - I would give it another day before getting to the vet if everything else looks OK.

AC you are probably right but............ Quagmire's momma knows when there is something not quite right with her squirrel. mothers are like that.
no disrespect intended AC.

i say if you feel it is time to get him to the vet, get him to the vet!!

Midnight
09-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Taking him to the Vet can't hurt anything at all..You need to take him to an Exotic Vet..Sometimes we just have to follow that mom or dad instinct..And doing this is never bad..Either cage would be ok to use..Has Quagmire done any traveling? If not you may want to cover his cage..Just to help keep the stress down..I always put Manny in the seat and put the seatbelt around his cage..Please let us know how it goes..We will have Quagmire in our prays..

I really think his going to be ok..Has that little lady squirrel been hanging around the window still?? Sometimes this love in the air just gets to them..

AppleCorps
09-01-2009, 02:40 PM
My guess is that it a longing to get outside & the scent of females in the area.

Squirrels can certainly panic you - I know.

Midnight
09-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Good morning did you get to see the vet? What did they say?

biofreeze
09-02-2009, 05:25 PM
I saw the female carrying what looked like her baby to another tree. Then I saw her carrying what looked like bedding material. I don't know if this means she is in heat or not. But maybe that would have something to do with how quagmire is acting.

Drove an hour to the vet today. quagmire rode in his big cage jsu fine. I thought he would be nervous and afraid of the traffic noise, but I guess being on the porch he ehars those noises all the time. I thought he might try to get out, but he did not, he looked around, laid down, and on the ride back even dozed off.

The vet thought it might be his natural instict kicking in. Said he looked fine and his diet, when he eats, is fine. Vet advised to move him from the porch to the inside to get him away from the female. Vet said to closely monitor his fluid intake over this weekend. Said he looked like he had a little fat reserves to make up for the decline in eating. He also mentioned having him nuetered.

We cleaned his large cage, even his nesting box, and moved it inside. Now he has to make a new nest maybe that will keep him distacted and occupied :p

steven eugene squirrel
09-02-2009, 06:19 PM
glad to hear quagmire is okay. he will probably perk up when he has to build a new nest and has a new environment to investigate.

Squirrel Factor
09-02-2009, 10:30 PM
To answer you inquiry about Squirrels in heat, some of the Eastern Gray species do come into breeding at odd times of year, not always on the mark, and so it may be possibly some are in season, but if so it is a late for the year. As far as males, if his scrotum becomes dark colored and enlarged then he is as a male in season, if not then not. As for the mother with babies she is carrying, she is not in season, and will not breed till her young near 5-6 months of age.

In transporting a squirrel cover the cage with a dark throw, it makes them calmer and helps to minimize the stress on them too.

As far as the not eating, I am sure you are keeping a close eye on him. He can go a couple of days without eating and it wont hurt him, if he refuses to drink, then you are in trouble. He may just wants nuts, as some squirrels are geared into burying nuts as it is that time of year. Giving him a few nuts at this time of year, a couple to eat and a couple to bury, isn't going to hurt him, but do not feed sunflower seeds at all, they aretrash food for them with little nutrients, and can bring on Metabolic Bone disease. Does he have a natural daylight bulb you use. If not do get one, the Ott light is one I know of that works well and helps with his need for Vit D. Never give a squirrel a salt mineral spool, it has far too much salt in it, and they don't need that. Do you have a mineral calcium block for him? There is a block called Manu that one rehabber recommended on her site. I gave that to my squirrel for it has mostly calcium with other trace minerals, but low in salt. Thsi is what I recommend. SquirrelFactor

Midnight
09-03-2009, 07:07 AM
I saw the female carrying what looked like her baby to another tree. Then I saw her carrying what looked like bedding material. I don't know if this means she is in heat or not. But maybe that would have something to do with how quagmire is acting.

Drove an hour to the vet today. quagmire rode in his big cage jsu fine. I thought he would be nervous and afraid of the traffic noise, but I guess being on the porch he ehars those noises all the time. I thought he might try to get out, but he did not, he looked around, laid down, and on the ride back even dozed off.

The vet thought it might be his natural instict kicking in. Said he looked fine and his diet, when he eats, is fine. Vet advised to move him from the porch to the inside to get him away from the female. Vet said to closely monitor his fluid intake over this weekend. Said he looked like he had a little fat reserves to make up for the decline in eating. He also mentioned having him nuetered.

We cleaned his large cage, even his nesting box, and moved it inside. Now he has to make a new nest maybe that will keep him distacted and occupied :p

We are so happy to hear that he is fine..Getting the sunlight is very important thing, so even if you move him inside you will still be able to take him out in the sunlight for play time, right?

Did your Vet mention the need for any of these things to you? Deer Antlers, tree branches, or rock from outdoors provide trace minerals and keep teeth from overgrowing. A cuttlebone or other calcium/mineral block should be hung inside of the cage. I be happy to give you a link to place where you can order anything that you will need. The owner is very nice and will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. She will not try and sale you things you dont need. There are a number of good places to shop I just happen to use this one for some of my things.

http://www.squirrelstore.com/

As for having him nuetered Thats is up to you..Did you Vet say why he should be nuetered? Did he/she have a medical reason for wanting to nueter Quagmire? :coffeecomputer

Squirrel Factor
09-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Just a friendly note, having a light is great for the days it rains, or is too cold or hot outside.

Make sure the antlers you get for him have not been treated, if you buy them someone.

As far as his instinct goes, if he paces in his cage, that would be the case, the call of the wild.

If he is in the rut, as I mentioned before, his scrotum will enlarged, black, and distended.

We had our boy neutered at 7 months, but he hadn't fully developed. If you decided to have that done for your boy, first make sure the Vet has worked with Exotics, and that they use non organic suture. Our boy's incision wasn't healing after he was neutered, and then about a week later a piece of threat pop out, and i gently removed it. After that the incision healed right up in just a few days. That is how we knew that the old kind if thread was a problem for squirrels.

SquirrelFactor

Squirrel Factor
09-03-2009, 02:26 PM
The Squirrel store also carries the Manu block I mentioned. Here is what it looks like. It comes with a bolt and wingnut to easily attach it to the inside of the cage. I got this for my to help her in her old age with her back condition, yet any age is good for them to have this, as it is low in salt, high in calcium, and contains the needed trace minerals they need as well.

biofreeze
09-03-2009, 04:15 PM
My husband thinks Quagmire is in rut from SquirrelFactor's description. He also paces in his cage like he did in the windows on the porch.

He has not eaten hardly anything. He ate a small bit of Kale, three sunflower seeds, one pumpkin seed, and three bites of cracker. I know sunflower and cracker are not good for him but it is something to keep his bowels moving. He drank very litte, so we gave him 1ml. gatorade with a syringe. will try to give him more later. I have visibly see he has lost weight.

maybe I should take him out of his 6 foot cage and put him into the 2x2 cage to keep him from exercising so much since he is not eating!

I ordered the Manu mineral and antler. Even thoug he has plenty to chew on these items can't hurt.

thanks for all the info.

Squirrel Factor
09-03-2009, 04:24 PM
If you have acorns in the area you know are not sprayed, gather them for him, he will really like them and there is no better food you can give him than acorns! Always offer a nuts before sunflower seeds, better to have an almond, walnut, or pecan by far. Break the nut open to encourage him to eat it or he may just bury it.

Midnight
09-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Acorns are good but do know, That his pee will change colors from them..So don't panic if that should happen..:morning Also all squirrels pace in there cages..Does he have things to play with..They do get bored really fast..They need alot to chew and play with..Can Quagmire where he is at now see the TV? My boys like to watch the TV..This will help with him being bored..

Squirrel Factor
09-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Good that you brought that up M. for it is a bit frightening to see the Blood-colored urine caused by the natural die in acorns, when you don't know what the cause is.a The first time our girl was given acorns she got very excited! We gave her Rosehips too when they turn orange-red in the fall, being high in Vitamin C. Both are naturally good foods for them. I recommend you get the book North American Tree Squirrels by Steele and Koprowski, it lists many of their natural foods you may not be aware of. They are seasonal foods mostly, not then that which you can give them all year around, but still good to give to them when available.

Squirrel Factor
09-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Toys are very important as M says too, smooth bodied ones like those with a dog bone shape are good with no strings and things for them to catch their toenails one. There is a squirrel shaped dog toy you can get on Ebay, that is a real favorite, the smaller size works best as a surrogate playmate for a pet squirrel, affording them lots of fun hours playing Fight-bitety with it, just like they would do with a sybling.

FLUFFYTAILNUT
09-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Okay....I was requested...to post..some Bean
"Bean business" pictures...

Here there are!
FTN~

Squirrel Factor
09-04-2009, 10:39 AM
When the scrotum becomes black and enlarged, dropping down a bit from the body, is when they are in the rut.

Thanks FTN for the photos; he's such a good boyie!

FLUFFYTAILNUT
09-04-2009, 10:47 AM
When the scrotum becomes black and enlarged, dropping down a bit from the body, is when they are in the rut.

You are welcome SF;)

FLUFFYTAILNUT
09-04-2009, 04:49 PM

If you need any other pic's...I have ton's of course you already know this..:D

Squirrel Factor
09-04-2009, 05:31 PM
I recall you had shared such a photo in a similar question situation, that was why I though of you in this case as well. If you have one where he is hairless there, and dropped down, that might be helpful for this member to see in that regard what I was referring to.

Thanks, SquirrelFactor

FLUFFYTAILNUT
09-04-2009, 06:11 PM
I recall you had shared such a photo in a similar question situation, that was why I though of you in this case as well. If you have one where he is hairless there, and dropped down, that might be helpful for this member to see in that regard what I was referring to.

Thanks, SquirrelFactor
I will go though MY older pics..and see what I can find of him "hairless";)
lol....Anyone..else new not knowing..WHAT in the world we are talking about...oh boy...might think.... we are NUTS....
Be back in a while..
I have lots of....pics to search through...;)
FTN~

FLUFFYTAILNUT
09-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Here is one pic I found in my lap top...the other "hairless" ones are on the house computer..I will have to look through those.possibly next week..when hubby's out of his office and off at work...

But this one picture..is when he had no hair and his"business".
No hair..

FTN~

Midnight
09-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Hey Bean ..Look how sweet he is..Big Kiss....:coffeecomputer

FLUFFYTAILNUT
09-04-2009, 11:58 PM
I havent been able to get on the house computer to get to the other pic's...

Now...where it the thread starter.....?

Is she minding all of these pic's I've put up??

Have a great night...err..morning!:D

FTN~

biofreeze
09-05-2009, 06:24 AM
Thanks for sharing those pictures. That is exactly what is happening with Quagmire (giggity) now days. It seems that he is just eating a bare minimum and drinking enough to stay energized for all his rutting behavior. He is still quite active and energetic. He seems have to mellowed justly slightly by keeping him indoors and eats a little better. On Tuesday when we call the vet, we'll proably set an appt to get him neutered. Cause is just plain crazy right now. He has lost about 35% of his weight in the last couple of weeks but his was quite large and fat before this happened. He looks now what an outdoor squirrel looks like. I just want to make sure he doesn't lose more.

Thanks again everyone.

FLUFFYTAILNUT
09-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks for sharing those pictures. That is exactly what is happening with Quagmire (giggity) now days. It seems that he is just eating a bare minimum and drinking enough to stay energized for all his rutting behavior. He is still quite active and energetic. He seems have to mellowed justly slightly by keeping him indoors and eats a little better. On Tuesday when we call the vet, we'll proably set an appt to get him neutered. Cause is just plain crazy right now. He has lost about 35% of his weight in the last couple of weeks but his was quite large and fat before this happened. He looks now what an outdoor squirrel looks like. I just want to make sure he doesn't lose more.

Thanks again everyone.
Good Morning...Giggity Giggity GOO.....
I am..sort of ashamed to admit...we allow our almost 13 year old to watch.."Family Guy".....
What a riot...that cartoon is....Our all time favorite one is the one with "Sea Breeze"...with Stewie..on his mom's lap...doing the...move..AND YOU HAVE to have "captions one" OMG...makes it all the funnier...HA!
Okay....now...where was I...
Ahhh..yes.....your Quagmire....
I finally read through the WHOLE...thread from page one..
Can I make a suggestion...you of course can do what ever you wish....(giggity):D I think I would HOLD OFF on getting him..."SNIPPED"...
My Bean...went through the whole fiesty thing...and he LOST alot of weight...got super lean....I used to call him "lean Bean"..he still goes through this thing with his fur...it will shed..and take forever to grow in..
I have recently noticed...he has this darker color around his "mr winky"...not his "furstickles"....:rolf4it's all good..and normal...he's a "dude"...and he is mature..
You will also notice at "Quagmire " doing what I call.."fanny drag's" it's him marking his territory...there's nothing wrong with him.
There are scent glands and yes secretions...what I call.."butt juice"...he will leave this "butt juice" on his stuff animal's...limb's in his cage...really anywhere he can rub his fanny...
He mostly does it...in his cage..

I am sorry..I missed this thread....and I will make an effort...to help you all I can...
is your Quagmire a talker?
I can get Bean to engage in a conversation with me..NO KIDDING!
http://www.thepetsquirrelboard.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3917&stc=1&d=1251664078
I also...noticed...you CLIP his toe nail's! And you do it...very well!!
Looks like a perfect pedicure to me.
I of course clip Bean's toe nail's every two day's...
NOT EVERY ONE....LIKES this practice....
I get...some guff...from a few..fellow ..squirrel owners...
But...hey...when it comes to our furry children..we have to part ways...and "Agree to disagree"...and move on with out holding harsh feelings...
To..each his or her own....right?
Just like some people do.." Time out" with their kid's...I don't...I am hands on..and mine get spanked...
Mind you...not with a rubber hose or anything...but..my hand...works pretty well..
I have CHEWED your ear....off...now..I shall....pop in later...to see how you all are doing....
HAVE a GREAT DAY...GIGGITY GIGGITY GOO-http://www.criticallayouts.com/images/rsgallery/original/family-guy-021207-9.gif
PS...WHAT HAPPENED to your arm/wrist..? OBVIOUSLY....broken...yes???
Fluffy~

Midnight
09-05-2009, 08:26 AM

Thanks again everyone.

Have you told him you may get him neutered :eek:? Unless its something medical I wouldn't neuter him..Now if he gets really mean or smelly then yes..Please think about this..If something should happen to ya'll what is going to happen Quagmire? Right now as is he can be wild up and turned out but if you neutered him then they will put him down..I know ya'll Ill stop with the what if but you never know..And please don't think I'm not for neutering..My first baby Hurry was Neutered..And I never saw any kind of change in him from it..But he was done as a child not and adult..And yes his not thinking right now but in a few more weeks he will be back to his normal self..
Rachel thank you so much of all the help and pictures :GroupHug4

biofreeze
09-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Fluffy-
Yes, Quagmire does the 'fanny drag' whenever we take him out of his cage and he finds something he hasn't marked yet. How does long this rutting usually last and how many times a year does this happen?

We just spent about 45 minutes outside so he could get his sun. His outdoor friends were in the magnolia tree playing, so he got quite excited but they did not come and visit him. I got some good pictures of one eating magnolia pods, I'll post later.

Yes, Family Guy is a favorite in this house too ([SCRUBS] also). My wife actually named Qugamire. It was all her idea but I agreed wholeheartedly. Yes, I have a broken left wrist, which was done at work 4 weeks ago. The two of us share posting on this site about Q, so you guys will never know which one of us is on here :eek:

As far as Q's toe nails, nope we don't clip them. His normal environment is the back tiled porch where he runs around and climbs the cage, wicker furniture, screen, etc. He rubs them down on his own. We got carpet cardboard tubes from a store and stapled towels to them and wedged them in between the floor and the ceiling, they make great climbing posts.

Quagmire doesn't talk much unless he gets scared by something, then he'll chatter. He never does that drawn out squeal the outdoor squirrels do.

We have learned alot on here and all three of us (Quagmire too) appreciates it. Until next time, Thank you all.

FLUFFYTAILNUT
09-05-2009, 09:06 AM
[quote=biofreeze;18332]Fluffy-
Yes, Quagmire does the 'fanny drag' whenever we take him out of his cage and he finds something he hasn't marked yet. How does long this rutting usually last and how many times a year does this happen?

As far as "how long it will last" Bean does the fanny drags all the time"..I think it might just be a "dude" thing..

We just spent about 45 minutes outside so he could get his sun. His outdoor friends were in the magnolia tree playing, so he got quite excited but they did not come and visit him. I got some good pictures of one eating magnolia pods, I'll post later.
Bean does get visitor's...oh boy..the last visitor GOT PEE'd on..HA...I have a quick video and pic's of the un-unvited visitor...TOO funny..Bean was more than double his size...and MADE himself SUPER fluffy...
He "was kicken BUTT..and didnt care about taken names":rolf4

Yes, Family Guy is a favorite in this house too
Its a FUNNY show...and kind of EEKK at times..
Not many like that humor...:rolleyes: we do..LOL
We-- be..sort of warped...over here...

We couldnt really get into "Scrub's"..
I do like "Smallville"...I love SCI-FI stuff...vampire..HORROR movie..real scary not..stupid stuff..
Saw 1 and Saw 11 ..gory ..want the blood to look real..not like syrup...or cool aid...
**Poor Midnight...am I grossing you out**
Not-- the SOFTER side..of Fluffy..I know...lol

([SCRUBS] also). My wife actually named Qugamire. It was all her idea but I agreed wholeheartedly.
Sounds...like my kind of GF....knows...what's funny..and wants to be reminded..of it daily...

Yes, I have a broken left wrist, which was done at work 4 weeks ago. The two of us share posting on this site about Q, so you guys will never know which one of us is on here :eek:
OUCH....been there..done that..last august....I was horse back riding horse ..spooked..right..I went left...*plopped* all of my weight onto my wrist...I was..* VERY HEALTHY* back then..about 176...and I watched my bone BREAK right infront of me...my instant thought was..."oh that didnt look good..and that's gonna hurt.."

NOW..make sure..your doing finger exercises...or yout threapy will be long..take your thumb...and make it reach the top of each finger and drag it to the bottom..and stretch...each finger..back as far as it will go....
Wait how long ago did this happen..do you have any screws or a plate...
Let me know how long youve been in that cast..
then Ill proceed with some therapy instruction...
I was told..I wouldnt get full mobility...and because Im OLDER....(40) things wont go back as quickly..
MY THERAPY was suppose to be for 12 weeks..I was done in 4 weeks...and 100%...I did my own therapy..its called..BEAN...lol and house work....HA!
Im sure your wife can relate~!

As far as Q's toe nails, nope we don't clip them. His normal environment is the back tiled porch where he runs around and climbs the cage, wicker furniture, screen, etc. He rubs them down on his own. We got carpet cardboard tubes from a store and stapled towels to them and wedged them in between the floor and the ceiling, they make great climbing posts.

Well his nails look great! Good job!

Quagmire doesn't talk much unless he gets scared by something, then he'll chatter. He never does that drawn out squeal the outdoor squirrels do.
Oh...well...We...the 4 of us..will have to get on the horn...and you can hear him....
He talks on command...STINKER PANTS...
He does love to sass me..like a mouthy teen ager..

We have learned alot on here and all three of us (Quagmire too) appreciates it. Until next time, Thank you all.
YOU three have a great day..
Oh....does Quagmire favor one of you more over the other??
Bean ONLY LOVES me..he will sometime tolerate my husband.Ibeing in the same room..same w my son) they are competition...lol
He will sometimes allow my daughter to hold him and will sometimes allow her to play..with him..
MOSTY..he is JUST ALL MINE..
I like that..Im greedy when it comes to my Bean...
See ya..
I need to peel my butt off the sofa.and get dressed .'Im still in my PJs..LOL
Ciao!
Rachel~

biofreeze
09-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Hello All-

Quagmire ate much more today than the last week or so. I'm glad to see him maybe getting out of the 'mood' and being nicer. Not that he was bad but he did have a different attitude overall. We appreciate all the input.

If he is going to continue to mark everything from here on out we may get him neutered. The vet said it would keep him from ever becoming aggressive during those 'moods'. We plan on definitely keeping him as we are quite taken with him and he with us. :)

Midnight
09-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Good Morning Biofreeze, How is quagmire doing today? :coffeecomputer

biofreeze
09-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Quagmire seems to be eating more regularly than the last week or so. Ate quite a bit of food the last couple of days. Although he is still much skinnier than he had been prior to the mating season stuff. Thanks for asking.

Still trying to decide if we will get him neutered. Pros I guess would be him not marking stuff everytime he is out and much less change during future 'mating times'. He would stay more mild mannered too. Cons is he is likely to become a tubbo again.

Anyone have any other pros or cons? Thanks.

Squirrel Factor
09-17-2009, 05:44 PM
If you want to get him neutered , you really need to find someone that has experience with working on squirrels. Anethesia issue is the biggest next to that, having a Vet that has SEVOFLOURINE to use even if mixed with ISOFLOURINE is very important when working on exotics as squirrels are called now. Knowing the Vet can do it in less than 30 minutes is very important, not just say they can, but will. Our one Vet told us 30 minutes on an operation and it went 90, and then our other Vet told us 15 and it went 15. The second Vet being a highly experienced surgeon for over 25 years, the second did not, even so both were Exotic certified. Make sure too they have a warming incubator for afterwards, and heat to keep him warm during surgery. If they get cold it is much harder to revive them. All of this is what made the difference between success and a heartbreaking failure when it came to two of our pet squirrels that had the same exact procedure done.

riley's mom
09-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Lynne has had a couple of them neutered because they are non-releaseables and were starting to get big boy attitudes. They both came through just fine and their attitudes have also changed for the good. We did have one girl that had spinal and pelvic injuries, was rehabbed for quite awhile and was itching to get back outside. She could climb, jump, do whatever she wanted, but the concern was if she would be able to give birth without any trouble. So she was spayed before release.

Hope that helps.

biofreeze
09-17-2009, 08:19 PM
thanks for the info. we will discuss with the vet about the anesthia.

it makes me feel better knowing neutering him will make a difference in his behavior so that the procedure isn't useless.

he is eating much better getting to be normal.
did the other neutered squirrels gain waight, like most pets do? did their energy level decrease?

riley's mom
09-17-2009, 08:39 PM
As far as them gaining weight, that's hard to say because they are very active and have full reign of running around her house. But they sure didn't lose any. LOL

biofreeze
09-20-2009, 11:30 AM
thanks for info Riley's mom. I don't want him to get 'fat' as he is much more nimble when he is skinny. and like most living things it is harder to loose weight than put it on. ;)

Squirrel Factor
09-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Our boy didn't get fat, but stayed about the same after being neutered. Our one girl squirrel, that had to be spayed, didn't gain allot of weight either. It was, as it always is, too many nuts or goodies that causes weight gain, along with inactivity. With Squirrels that are considerably more inactive, fondly known as a 'Nest Potatos', adjusting the amount of it's caloric intake is needful to reflect their more sedentary lifestyle.

biofreeze
10-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Well, today was the day we got Quagmire neutered. He was miserable early on this morning but is doing fine now(sore though I'm sure). I know some out there suggested against it but we decided to move forward to eliminate the butt/ball dragging and marking everything and peeing on everything including the wife and I when he was out with us. We found a really great vet about an hour from us who has worked with small animals, rodents and also squirrels for many years. Quagmire had since our last post put some weight back on and looked good, not like JABBA the squirrel he had been in his first 10 months of life. Doc used a gas sedative which allows the animal to recover much faster than any other method. Now he needs a few days of recovery...

Midnight
10-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Its so good to see you back..Quagmire will be fine in a few days..When Hurry had it done the first few days after his balance was a little off..I have gotten 2 new squirrel while you were gone..Prissy you may know about her but I have one that got hit by a car Monday..Anyway its good to have you back ya'll were missed..